“How to Detect House Burglaries” is a topic that almost every homeowner will face or another. While it may seem unimportant to some, the fact is that you can be robbed regularly while you’re home. There are several ways that burglars gain entry to homes. They can use unlocked doors, swings, or windows. Here is how to go about learning how to recognize these common entryways.
Related: lock change
- Doors: If a door or window is left open, especially for an extended period, then it’s likely that burglars will try to gain access. This is usually the case when the residence is unoccupied. One way to determine whether a door is left open is to always monitor it when it is closed. Many homes have motion sensor lights that turn on when they sense movement near the property.
- Swinging Door: A swinging door is often an easy target for a burglar. Some homeowners try to keep their doors shut while others leave them crack. If a burglar is looking for an entryway into a house, he often looks for the weakest points in the structure. An open door is likely a soft opening, which is often too weak to prevent a burglary.
- Windows: Although they are considered more of an exterior feature, windows can provide valuable access to a house. If a window has tinted glass, there is little noticeable difference from an interior or exterior door. However, if the glass is frosted, a burglar can easily see through it. Burglars also look for windows with broken panes. If a pane of glass is damaged, it is wise to replace it as soon as possible.
- Signs: Another important clue that will help identify signs of a burglary is the sign or flags of the homeowner. When a house is being targeted, the burglar often looks for the homeowner’s flag or sign. Often, they are out of site when a home is empty. However, if a family is away on vacation, a flag can be left posted in the yard. If a family is having an outdoor party, a sign can be left near the house to lure an intruder.
- House Alarm Systems: Alarms are not the only way to prevent burglaries. Homeowners can purchase wireless burglar and detector alarms. These alarms are less expensive and are often easy to install. These home security systems can also protect against carbon monoxide, fire and smoke.
Alarmed homeowners can take steps to make their homes less appealing to thieves. They can purchase motion detecting alarms and install them in high-traffic areas such as hallways and stairwells. They can also purchase detector alarms that sound off only if intruders enter a certain area. Homeowners can take simple precautions, such as installing a deadbolt lock on the front door and making sure there are no suspicious-looking holes in the wall. If possible, homeowners should also put decals warning of the potential threat in the neighbourhood.
Related: locksmith prices
Homes that are most at risk for burglary will have alarm systems installed. The cost of a detector alarm will depend on the type of system purchased. Some systems are available for around fifty dollars. When looking at ways on how to detect house burglaries, it may be worthwhile to invest in a home security system.
Even if the cost is not too much, it may save you money in the long run. There have been reports of real estate properties being stolen within 24 hours of being broken into. Criminals who break into a home do so with complete confidence that their target will not call the police. By notifying the local police about the break-in, the homeowner can reduce the chance of the thieves trying to steal from them.
Another way on how to detect house burglaries involves installing home security lighting. Security lighting can be installed around a home to deter thieves and limit the time that they have to spend in the home. Depending on the amount of light needed, homeowners may want to install several light sensors throughout the home. Home security lighting can be very effective at keeping valuables out of reach of would-be thieves. It is also an excellent way to increase the overall security of the home.
In order for a homeowner to protect his or her home against intruders, it is necessary to have a security system that includes a detector. When a criminal breaks into a home, the detector is the first thing the criminal checks to see if it was a burglary. Most detectors are wireless and do not need any additional monitoring equipment. Installing detectors in high-traffic areas such as near windows and doors can be of great help to homeowners in protecting their homes from burglars.